How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118689
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have a felony conviction which i went to prision for , i

Resolved Question:

i have a felony conviction which i went to prision for , i live in New Jersey the conviction was out of hudson county. Is there any way i can get it exspunged. I got a job and am worryed that that might get me let go?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Unfortunately, a felony conviction has very limited ability for expungement in NJ. A person convicted of a first offense for certain offenses under New Jersey law may seek expungement of his criminal record, provided he has no prior or subsequent felony conviction, N.J. Stat. Ann. § 2C:52-2(a), and has not previously had a criminal conviction expunged, or has ever been granted dismissal of criminal charges following completion of a supervisory treatment or diversion program. §§ 2C:52-14(e), 2C:52-14(f). Most serious and violent offenses, and drug offenses (ex. marijuana) are ineligible, as well as offenses by public officials. §§ 2C:52-2(b), 2C:52-2(c). See also In re L.B., 848 A.2d 899 (N.J. Super. Ct. Law Div. 2004) (pardon creates eligibility for expungement for otherwise ineligible offense). There is a special expungement procedure provided for drug offenders whose conviction occurred prior to age 21. § 2C:52-5.

However, if you do not fit into the narrow category of those in NJ who qualify for first offender expungement your only chance is a pardon through the governor's office.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you