How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 102520
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an OIF and 28 year veteran. Last year, I was arrested

Resolved Question:

I am an OIF and 28 year veteran. Last year, I was arrested at Walmart for shoplifting approximately $58.00 worth of merchandise. I was assigned a court appointed attorney and the judge at the hearing explained that the case was dismissed. I am attempting to get hired by a large organization. I interviewed and was fingerprinted 25 May 2011. I received a certified memo stating that my fingerprint results identify a criminal record.
Is there any way to have the record expunged or cleared at all? If so, who do I contact?
Thank you
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Yes, there is. If the case was dismissed, you can petition for Expungement in Texas. Under Chapter 55 of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure, the record of you being arrested an charged can be expunged if the charges were dropped.

You would have to file a Motion for Expunction with the same criminal court, and after a quick hearing, the Court would order the record expunged. An attorney is highly recommended. You can see the general step of how to do it here:

You can find the petition at sites like,, or, or best of yet, have an attorney draft it/represent you.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work; I receive no credit for my time with you until you actually press ACCEPT. If you still need to clarify something or seek more information, just use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to follow up to your satisfaction! There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, should you wish to continue in the thread, and I encourage you to do so should you desire clarification.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus is always appreciated!

While the legal system tries to be inclusive of every possibility, sometimes, people are morally wronged but have limited legal avenues to seek relief. If so, please understand that this is not the expert’s fault (in other words, I prefer to tell you the truth rather than tell you what you want to hear, so if the news is not good, please do not shoot the messenger).

You can always request me for a future advice through my profile at…

…if you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”
Ely and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you