Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

If a six year old shot his classmate, can parents file crimnal

Customer Question
intent charges against this six...
If a six year old shot his classmate, can parents file crimnal intent charges against this six year old.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/1/2011
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Under Texas Law:

Sec. 8.07. AGE AFFECTING CRIMINAL RESPONSIBILITY. (a) A person may not be prosecuted for or convicted of any offense that he committed when younger than 15 years of age except: (1) perjury and aggravated perjury when it appears by proof that he had sufficient discretion to understand the nature and obligation of an oath; (2) [amended 9/1/97] a violation of a penal statute cognizable under Chapter 729, Transportation Code, except for: (A) an offense under Section 550.021, Transportation Code; (B) an offense punishable as a Class B misdemeanor under Section 550.022, Transportation Code; or (C) an offense punishable as a Class B misdemeanor under Section 550.024, Transportation Code; (3) a violation of a motor vehicle traffic ordinance of an incorporated city or town in this state; (4) a misdemeanor punishable by fine only other than public intoxication; (5) a violation of a penal ordinance of a political subdivision; or (6) a violation of a penal statute that is, or is a lesser included offense of, a capital felony, an aggravated controlled substance felony, or a felony of the first degree for which the person is transferred to the court under Section 54.02, Family Code, for prosecution if the person committed the offense when 14 years of age or older. (b) Unless the juvenile court waives jurisdiction under Section 54.02, Family Code, and certifies the individual for criminal prosecution or the juvenile court has previously waived jurisdiction under that section and certified the individual for criminal prosecution, a person may not be prosecuted for or convicted of any offense committed before reaching 17 years of age except an offense described by Subsections (a)(1)-(5). (c) No person may, in any case, be punished by death for an offense committed while he was younger than 17 years. Before 9/1/97 (a)(2) provided: (2) a violation of a penal statute cognizable under Chapter 302, Acts of the 55th Legislature, Regular Session, 1957 (Article 6701l-4, Vernon's Texas Civil Statutes); 1995 Act, amending 8.07, provided: SECTION 106. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (b) of this section, this Act applies only to conduct that occurs on or after January 1, 1996. Conduct violating a penal law of this state occurs on or after January 1, 1996, if every element of the violation occurs on or after that date.Conduct that occurs before January 1, 1996, is governed by the law in effect at the time the conduct occurred, and that law is continued in effect for that purpose. (b) Chapter 55, Family Code, as amended by this Act, applies only to conduct that occurs on or after the effective date of that chapter. Conduct violating a penal law of this state occurs on or after that date if every element of the violation occurs on or after that date. Conduct that occurs before the effective date of that chapter is governed by the law in effect at the time the conduct occurred, and that law is continued in effect for that purpose.

Also, the courts find that criminal intent is not formed under the age of 10 in Texas. See: Ex parte Trahan, 591 S.W.2d 837 (Tex. Cr. App., 1979).

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer