Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

Am I responsible for a car that I do not own for registration

Am I responsible for a car that I do not own for registration? Can citation ca veh code i4000A hold a driver responsible for fix it ticket? How?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 6 years ago.

Samuel-II :

Hi

Samuel-II :

Please tell me what happened, how you got this citation and what it is for exactly?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Answer blank??
Expert:  Samuel II replied 6 years ago.

Hi

Can you please give me more information. What happened that you got a citation? Whose car is it?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Auto belonged to someone else. Car was impounded because of expired registration. As driver I received citation (Fix it ticket). Am I responsible for producing this? Just had a friend get pulled over for the same thing and officer said he will mail ticket to registered owner. Please advise.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 6 years ago.

Hi

You are not responsible for the registration. The owner of the vehicle is and will get notified. It will be up to the owner to decide if they want to collect the impoundments fee from you or not. I dont know what your arrangements are for the owner allowing you to drive it

If you have further questions, you may post them here and i will continue to assist. Otherwise, even if you have a subscription with JA please remember to ACCEPT my answer as that is the only way I can get credit for my time and information in this matter. Thank you and Good luck

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I paid for the car to be brought out of impound. My question is why do I have a fix it ticket? Now I have a DMV hold because of the $25 fix it ticket. I would have paid $25 but did not have current registration from owner.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 6 years ago.

Hi

I see. The owner should have gotten the citation mailed to him - but if that did not happen, then have the Owner provide you with the correct information and go get it fixed - the two of you. I suppose the officer only copied the information on your license.