Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

i am moving to north carolina i now live in long island new

Customer Question
york . i have a...
i am moving to north carolina i now live in long island new york . i have a pistol license can i bring my handguns to n. carolina
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/1/2011
Criminal Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacEsq :

here is no NC state law that requires you to register your firearms, or notify any public official. One county in NC requires its residents to register handguns - Durham County. This power was granted to Durham County by the State Legislature. No other counties or localities are permitted to require registration.

ScottyMacEsq :

With the sole exception of Durham County, if you are a law-abiding citizen who lives in North Carolina you are entitled to possess the firearms you currently own without any hassle or red tape.

ScottyMacEsq :

No permit or other legal document is necessary to legally possess a rifle, shotgun or handgun in North Carolina as long as the firearm is not capable of fully automatic fire. In other words, as long as the firearm is not capable of machine-gun-type fire (multiple bullets fired each time you pull the trigger = machine gun, vs. one bullet fired each time you pull the trigger = non-machine gun), it is legal in NC if you are not a convicted felon. If you ARE a convicted felon, per Federal law you may not possess a firearm of any kind. If any of the firearms are capable of fully automatic fire, it is illegal to own and penalties are severe.

ScottyMacEsq :

One consideration would be how you're moving them...

ScottyMacEsq :

If you're flying, just make sure they're unloaded, in a locked container, and checked (not carry on).

ScottyMacEsq :

If you're driving, research all the state laws regarding traveling with a firearm.

ScottyMacEsq :

Most likely you'll need to keep them unloaded, locked, out of reach (to be safe keep them in the trunk).

ScottyMacEsq :

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please select the "accept" button. If you have already clicked "accept", or if you will in the future, please let me know so I can track these for my own reports and customer satisfaction stats. Thank you, and again, good luck to you!

ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer