How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 34412
Experience:  Former administrative hearing officer
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, My brother just got a cal from the FBI saying that they

This answer was rated:

Hi, My brother just got a cal from the FBI saying that they want to talk to him in 2 days. I say that he should have a lawyer but he is telling me that he is just going to answer their questions because he thinks he hasn't done anything wrong.When I asked him what do they want to question him about he said that they want to ask him about something that happened in 2007. What should he do?
He has the right to decline to answer questions without an attorney. In fact, as soon as the FBI called he should get an attorney and tell the FBI to make all arrangements to the FBI and not call him directly. He is playing a very dangerous game by speaking directly to the FBI. Especially, if he does not know for sure what they want to talk about. It ia a better than fair chance that he will incriminate himself without even realizing it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Right now he doesn't have the funds to afford an attorney, so what should he do? Who can help him on such short notice? He is supposed to go and speak to them on Thursday. can anyone help him?
He can decline to speak with them. If he is going to be charged they will have to provide him an attorney. So, he is almost better off forcing an arrest, if they have enough to charge him, rather than going in voluntarily.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If forcing an arrest is the best option he could be arrested anywhere, even at his job which would be a reason for him losing it. Is their any other way? If they have enough to charge him wouldn't they have done so already? Why would they want to speak to him if they already have enough to arrest him?
Yes, they could arrest him anywhere but they need to get an arrest warrant. I do suspect that if they had enough evidence to arrest him, they would.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He also doesn't know what questions they want to ask him. Can an attorney or free legal aid find out what questions they want to ask him?
The attorney can get more information that your brother about what is going on. Also he can insulate your brother from the FBI harassing him.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So in your opinion should I try and get him legal aid or get the attorney that would be more money
Get him a private attorney,if possible.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you.
You are very welcome. I hope things work out ok for your brother.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I hope so too. You have been a big help. Thank you again.
If you have no further follow ups, please remember to click Accept.
Loren and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you