How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal-Guru Your Own Question
Legal-Guru, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1366
Experience:  Experienced Criminal Trial Attorney since 1998.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Legal-Guru is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I am a recovering addict trying to make restitution. A

Resolved Question:

Hi, I am a recovering addict trying to make restitution. A year ago I reported some internet charges on my bank card to be fraudulent and had them reversed. I now believe that I made them, but didn't remember doing so. I recently signed up for an online dating site with that same old email address, and was flagged. I would like to fix this - find out how much the previous charges were - and pay them. How can I pay the vendor back and have the matter closed on their books, without getting myself in trouble?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Legal-Guru replied 6 years ago.
I think that if you contacted the credit card companies and explained your situation and that you wanted to pay them back they would be happy to take your money without it going any further. I would suggest talking to a supervisor. It's been my experience that the first line of people you talk to can only handle routine matters.

Of course, I cannot guarantee this, but what incentive would they have to report it if they are getting the money back? Additionally, if you mistakenly reported the charges as not made by you because of your addiction, you had no intent to defraud which is an element of any criminal charge.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Since it has been quite some time, I'm not really sure of the dates and/or amounts, and I have had legitimate fraud issues at times with online credit card use. Do you have a suggestion in terms of how I might phrase my request? Thank you - I'm going to accept this answer.
Expert:  Legal-Guru replied 6 years ago.
I would talk to someone in the fraud departments of the credit card companies and ask them to send you a list of all refunded charges since you opened the account so that you can mark the actual fraudulent ones from those that were not.
Legal-Guru and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you