How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Hammer O'Justice Your Own Question
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 4502
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Hammer O'Justice is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex-boyfriend is trying to say I signed his name on a school

Resolved Question:

My ex-boyfriend is trying to say I signed his name on a school loan that took place over 6 years ago. I do believe that he gave verbal constent for me to sign his name on the document. I don't remember alot of this transaction, however do to the times I lost my job and could no longer afford the loan payment (which is throught a private company). He claims it just came up on his credit report however I spoke to the loan company and they said the first time I went 30 days was in November 2006 which they reported that it would have been on at that time. However, back in November of 2010 he told me if I did not pay the full amount if the loan that I was going to pay for it because I was messing up his relationship with his current wife. What is the statute of limitations in Ohio for this type of crime and what should I do?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 6 years ago.

The statute of limitations on forgery in Ohio is six years. There are exceptions for fraud, however, and for most cases involving that, the statute of limitations is one year after the discovery of it (so basically, one year from when he found out he was a signatory on your loan). If he attempts to have you charged criminally, you can hire an attorney or apply for the public defender. They can try to have the charges dismissed due to the expiration of the statute of limitations, although it is unlikely that the police or prosecution would pursue a case if it has gone beyond that. If the statute of limitations hasn't run due to him discovering it less than a year ago, the attorney can help handle your case and defend you at trial. But unless charges are brought, there's not really anything you can do in the interim. Just be careful what you say in conversation with him because he could try to use that information against you later.
Hammer O'Justice and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you