Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

my brother needs to get fordgery charge off of his record.

Customer Question
what should he do?...
my brother needs to get fordgery charge off of his record. what should he do?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/2/2011
Criminal Lawyer: TexCrimLawyer, J.D., Lawyer replied 6 years ago
TexCrimLawyer, J.D.
What state was he convicted in?

Georgia

Georgia is very restrictive regarding expungements (having arrests removed from one's record). In order to be eligible and assuming he was not a juvenile when convicted, a person must show that they were arrested, but never convicted. That is, the charges must have been dropped in order to be eligible.

If he was sentenced under the "First Offender Act," he doesn't need to do anything. If a person was sentenced under the First Offender Act, and successfully completes his probation, he is not considered to have a criminal conviction under Georgia law.

If you brother was convicted and not handled under the First Offender Act, his only option is to ask the governor for a pardon. You can find the application here:

http://www.pap.state.ga.us/opencms/export/sites/default/resources/Pardon_Applicationjuly2010.pdf

If this answers your question, it is important that you click the "Accept" button so that I get credit for my answer.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D.
TexCrimLawyer, J.D.
TexCrimLawyer, J.D., Lawyer