How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a client that pled out under 18 USC 3607 and was over

This answer was rated:

I have a client that pled out under 18 USC 3607 and was over the age of 21. Is this client's records are to be still available to the public eventhough the this statute speaks of "a nonpublic record of a disposition." Other than it being a non conviction or deferred adjudication and subsequently a dissmissal, my client is looking at not having it disclosed to the public. What is his remedy for this if any?
[email protected]



IF the client did not violate the probation, then there is no conviction on record for public view. The records are only available for court matters. There is no expungement process that needs to taken. Once released from successful probation, there is no conviction, etc.



Samuel II and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.


Is there a motion that needs to be filed so that the client records are not displayed in the Federal website "Pacer" which is the program that the Federal District Courts uses to document all litigation matters, including Criminal matters. Or that the records are retained in a non public system only?





Yes, you will need to Apply for Expungement as USC 3607 only applies for automatic expungement for someone under age 21 and I see now where you state your client was over 21


You will need to follow the procedures under 28 C.F.R. 76.41.





76.41 - Expungement of records.

(a) The Attorney General shall expunge all official Department records created pursuant to this part upon application of a respondent at any time after the expiration of three (3) years from the date of the final order of assessment if: (1) The respondent has not previously been assessed a civil penalty under this section; (2) The respondent has paid the penalty; (3) The respondent has complied with any conditions imposed by the Attorney General; (4) The respondent has not been convicted of a federal or state offense relating to a controlled substance as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 802); and (5) The respondent agrees to submit to a drug test, and such test shows the individual to be drug free.

(b) A non-public record of a disposition under this part shall be retained by the Department solely for the purpose of determining in any subsequent proceeding whether the person qualifies for a civil penalty or expungement under this part.

(c) If a record is expunged under this part, the individual for whom such an expungement was made shall not be held guilty of perjury, false swearing, or making a false statement by reason of his failure to recite or acknowledge a proceeding under this part or the results thereof in response to an inquiry made of him for any purpose.




Samuel II and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your answer. It was very helpful. Should I need more after I do more research for this procedure. I would like to be able to communicate with you and of course compensate you for your time. How can I do this. Thanks again and God Bless.



You're welcome. You may place my name,Customer in the header. If I am online, I will assist you. Thank you and best to you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I see that 21 USC 844a pertains to civil penalties. Is this section 844a (j) Expungement procedures applicable to a criminal matter under 844? And it has not been 3 years also, but will it be available for him?



Yes. This is applicable for USC 3607 because there is no conviction. But he needs to wait the three years. If there was a conviction and he was not sentenced under USC 3607, he would need to apply for a Presidential Pardon. But since there is no conviction, you will need to Petition to have the records from PACER