N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Since 1983
9653905

Hello, I am in a legal situation and I have osme questions

Customer Question

I am in a legal situation and I have osme questions that I hope you can answer. Just recently my husband was charged on 7 counts of physical abuse towards his two teenage daughters. I know that most of the accusations the girls are making are mostly true, even if they are exaggerated. During the time this was all happening of course I was in the house although I didn't see every incident. The police have already talked to me and I have told them that these things were going on and that I knew about it. What I'm wondering is if I witnessed these things and told the police I knew about them, could I get in any kind of trouble for never saying anything? As difficult as the whole situation is this is one of my greatest fears as I have two small children and I could not imagine them being taken from me. Just for the record, if I had ever said anything or tried to put myself in his way to protect the girls it would have gotten turned on me.

P.S. I already asked this question and received a response but for some reason I was not able to respond so I am asking it again, whether the same person will get it, I don't know. Just in case,

In response to your question, the girls were 12 and 14 when it began (I think) and they are now 14 and 16.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 6 years ago.
What I'm wondering is if I witnessed these things and told the police I knew about them, could I get in any kind of trouble for never saying anything?
Yes you could be charged criminally under one or more theories, but you may have a defense of duress or menace if he threatened to harm you if you intervened or reported it.

You can get a free consultation from some of the criminal defense lawyers listed by location at
http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/practice/Criminal-Law

You should probably not make any more statements to the police until after you consult a local attorney.

I hope this information is helpful.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Sorry to bug you about it, but is it a real possibility that this could happen or is it just a "worst case scenario" ? I realize you don't know any details of the case, but I guess just hypothetically, if someone was in this situation. And just out of curiosity, is there anything I would be able to do to make sure I don't get charged?

Whether you get charged is up to the District Attorney and I do not want to speculate. It depends on the DA, and a local attorney would be better able to predict what the local DA is likely to do.