How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118689
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, Last night my son told his psychiatrist that his wife

Resolved Question:

Hi, Last night my son told his psychiatrist that his wife threatened his life.
Apparently in California, the Dr is required to report this to the police. The police arrested his wife and they charged her with felony arrest . Is it possible to expunge this from her record? How will this affect her future?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
If this was charged as a domestic violence charge, no your son cannot just get it dismissed. On a domestic violence charge the state is the victim, so your son cannot just walk into the DA and say he will not prosecute and actually the DA does not even need him to prosecute and can use any other evidence they have in the case. However, your son can work with her attorney and together engage in counseling and use that to convince the court to dismiss the charges. Only if the charges are dismissed can the be expunged. Absent a dismissal, CA does not expunge cases so it would be on her record permanently. If the charges are not dismissed and she is found guilty or pleads guilty, the charge remains on her record forever and because it is a domestic charge she could not own a firearm license and could suffer many other disabilities including employers refusing to hire her or denials of professional licenses.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you