How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 37639
Experience:  30 years legal experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello Doug! I have a question an a issue with a former friend

Customer Question

Hello Doug! I have a question an a issue with a former friend of mines?

Her name is XXXXX XXXXX she lives in Bronx, NY, and she also is a co-host on a internet radio show that is called the RealTalk Radio.. Anyways, me and Angela had a down fall and we're not the best of friends anymore..She has accused me of being a stalker on air in which the host himself slander my name and mentioned United Parcel Service, the company I work for.. They have publically embarrass me live on their show.. It was a personel problem between me and Angela, but she brought her problem at the studio and told eveyone of things that I never did to her.. The company and its owner approve this material for Angela to humiliate me on air.. Question?? Can I sue her and the studio company for "slandering" me????
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

If you can show that the company approved the publication of false information about you---especially information which accuses you of a crime such as stalking, yes, you may name the station as well as Angela in a Defamation suit, as well as anyone else who was involved---such as the host.

From a legal standpoint, defamation is the issuance of a false statement about another person, which causes that person to suffer harm.

1. Slander typically involves an oral (spoken) representation.
2. Libel involves the making of defamatory statements in a printed or fixed medium, such as the internet, a magazine or newspaper.

In order to win a defamation case, you must prove the following:

  1. A false and defamatory statement was made about an individual;
  2. The statement was made to a third party;
  3. If the defamatory matter is of public concern, (for example if you are a famous person) fault amounting at least to negligence on the part of the publisher.
  4. Finally, you must show that you have suffered damages.

In the non-business setting, most cases involving defamation can be appropriately handled in your local small claims court. Filing your lawsuit is easy, and your case will typically be heard in 30 to 60 days.

I wish you the best in 2011.

Because I help people here, like you, for a living---this is not a hobby for me, and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX abiding by the honor system as regards XXXXX XXXXX I wish you and your family the best in your respective futures.

Would you be so kind as to Accept my Answer so that I may be compensated for assisting you? Bonuses for greatly informative and helpful answers are very much appreciated. Thanks Again,


Related Criminal Law Questions