How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 116719
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 16 year old daughter has had her drivers license for 3

Resolved Question:

My 16 year old daughter has had her driver's license for 3 weeks when unbeknownst to me she took two minors to Magic Mountain in Ventura County. The next day she was pulled over for 84 in a 65 with radar and transporting minors, which is outside of what her license permits.

We are being sent to Sylmar Juvenile Court. I don't know what to anticipate with regard to fines, points on her driver's license, and is there any way to get out of it. Can I change venue, can she go to traffic school? She is grounded but it is I who will be punished. I didn't know she did this, and I have never caught her in a lie before.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
You cannot change venue, the venue is in the jurisdiction where she was stopped. You are looking at about $800+ in fines and court costs and she is looking at a suspension of her license for up to 1 year for having minors in the car with her plus community service. You need to get her an attorney there and they can try to negotiate with the DA to try to lower the fine and reduce the suspension to 6 months, but it is unlikely the DA will do more than that because she had minors in the car with her.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I cannot afford an attorney or fines of $800 or more. Some of her friends have had similar violations and the punishment has not been that severe. No one we know has had their license suspended. If I go to court with her without a lawyer are we like lambs being led to the slaughter?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
This is something you would need to plead your case with the DA over, the driving with minors and being more than 15 miles per hour over the speed limit on a restricted minor's license is where the problem is. The DA can agree to traffic school in lieu of the fine, but that would be at your cost as well. It all depends on how well you plead your case and financial hardship.
Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you