How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 31788
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How long do I have to wait to get a Misdemeanor expunged in

Customer Question

How long do I have to wait to get a Misdemeanor expunged in Arizona. How do I go about doing it?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Criminal Law litigation attorney here to assist you.


You can apply for an expungement as soon as you complete the terms of your sentence or punishment.


You have to file a petition to expunge your record as outlined in the expungement statute, which says:


13-907. Setting aside judgment of convicted person on discharge; application; release from disabilities; exceptions


A. Except as otherwise provided in this section, every person convicted of a criminal offense, on fulfillment of the conditions of probation or sentence and discharge by the court, may apply to the judge, justice of the peace or magistrate who pronounced sentence or imposed probation or such judge, justice of the peace or magistrate's successor in office to have the judgment of guilt set aside. The convicted person shall be informed of this right at the time of discharge.


B. The application to set aside the judgment may be made by the convicted person or by the convicted person's attorney or probation officer authorized in writing.


C. If the judge, justice of the peace or magistrate grants the application, the judge, justice of the peace or magistrate shall set aside the judgment of guilt, dismiss the accusations or information and order that the person be released from all penalties and disabilities resulting from the conviction other than those imposed by:

1. The department of transportation pursuant to section 28-3304, 28-3306, 28-3307, 28-3308 or 28-3319, except that the conviction may be used as a conviction if such conviction would be admissible had it not been set aside and may be pleaded and proved in any subsequent prosecution of such person by the state or any of its subdivisions for any offense or used by the department of transportation in enforcing section 28-3304, 28-3306, 28-3307, 28-3308 or 28-3319 as if the judgment of guilt had not been set aside.

2. The game and fish commission pursuant to section 17-314 or 17-340.


D. This section does not apply to a person convicted of a criminal offense:

1. Involving the infliction of serious physical injury.

2. Involving the use or exhibition of a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument.

3. For which the person is required or ordered by the court to register pursuant to section 13-3821.

4. For which there has been a finding of sexual motivation pursuant to section 13-118.

5. In which the victim is a minor under fifteen years of age.

6. In violation of section 28-3473, any local ordinance relating to stopping, standing or operation of a vehicle or title 28, chapter 3, except a violation of section 28-693 or any local ordinance relating to the same subject matter as section 28-693.

Roger and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have two misdemeanors, one from1995 and one from 2009, can I have them both expunged?
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.
The statute doesn't state that expungement is a one time thing.