How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 33746
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how to write a character letter for a family member going to a prelim hearing to determine

This answer was rated:

how to write a character letter for a family member going to a prelim hearing to determine if case should go to trial for a domestic dispute and you are made to testify against them
What are you wanting the letter to do? Who are you wanting to write the letter to?

I will be offline for a while but will pick backup when I return.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
he was given the option to plead for a lid of 16 months and a strike he refused if this goes to trial he could get 5 years state prison he has no criminal record has never been arrested and he is 23 years old. I want the letter to be given to the judge so he will consider dropping it to a misdemeanor with time served and mandatory anger management he has been in count jail since jan 8 of this year please help!!!!!!!
Did his lawyer tell you to write the letter?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

no im not allowed to speak to his lawyer as per her due to the fact the dispute was with me (his mother ) my sister(his aunt) and his cousin. it was a family discussion that got out of hand and we unfoturnately had to call police but by the time police arrived it was over but they still had to write the report.we did not press charges but the d.a. picked it up anyway 3 counts of 422 1 count 594 i have been told by d.a. from the beginning they would not pursue prison time and would agree to anger manangement, but as of march

27 after talking to his supervisor wants to send him to prison. how can that be the only solution for a first time offense no record and has held a security job until this incident for four years.

That certainly seems harsh for a first time offense. However, there is no way to get a letter to a judge unless a lawyer is sponsoring it and the other side does not object. A judge is not allowed to read letters sent to him on a case as they are hearsay. You must go through the lawyer if you want to communicate with the judge in some manner. Writing directly to the judge can get you and your son in trouble.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
am I allowed to call the p.d. and tell her we have people that will write letters to give to her to present to the judge?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
am i allowed to call th p.d. and tell her thier are people willing to arite letters to give to her to present to the judge?
Absolutely. However, letters are generally regarded as hearsay and not admissible unless the other side agrees. What you really need to do is have people organized and available to testify live for him.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Dwayne B. and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you