How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27757
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question in reference to serving concurrent sentences.

Resolved Question:

I have a question in reference to serving concurrent sentences. My friend is currently serving a 4 year sentence in a federal prison in New Mexico. However he still has a pending state case in Pampa, Texas. Apparently the lawyer that he hired for the federal case was supposed to take care of the pending case in Texas, but as of yet nothing has been done. What can be done so that he doesn't have to serve additional time in state?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 years ago.
Hi Jacustomer,

If your friend has been sentenced Federally already and there's a Texas hold on him, then he's also getting credit for his Texas time . Then when he's returned to Texas, if he's completed all of the time he should be be released. It's the other way around -- when the state sentences first and orders concurrent time but the Federal government doesn't specifically agree to that at the time of their sentencing, when it goes wrong and ends up more time.

Check with his lawyer and see whether he's presently getting time on both cases.
Zoey_ JD and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you