How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 117375
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

There is a NEW law in LA. that allows some inmates who have

Resolved Question:

There is a NEW law in LA. that allows some inmates who have been convicted of nonviolent offenses and have less than a certain amount of time left to serve to be released early. I would like to know how they choose who gets the benefit ot this and what the full requirements are to be eligible. Thank you
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
HB 194 provides for an increase in good time for first time violent or non-violent offenders and that is the only new law passed. This is applied only to those who are sentenced from the date of passage of the law. A nonviolent criminal receive a 30-day credit of “good time” for every 30 days that an inmate either performs his work or self-improvement activities, or both. Violent criminals would accumulate “good time” credit at a rate of 10 days of “good time” per 30 days of work or self-improvement.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That is the same information I got last time I asked this question, but that is common knowledge pretty much. I'm asking about the program where they are letting people out of the jails to relieve overcrowding. Don't know where exactly this is happening and who and how one is chosen to be let out early.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
No there is NO other program in Louisiana. These "programs" are rumors that get started in the prisons by prisoners and the spread like wildfire. It is just rumor about a program. The overcrowding thing is another issue and prisoners are chosen based on non-violent offenders and those within 6 months of ending of their sentences.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My son is a non-violent offender and within 6 months of his release date, which is what I heard are the requirements, so I was wondering who decides about the early release. Would that be the D.O.C. or the Warden of the correctional facility or do you have to file a petition or what? That is my question, and I apologize if I didn't ask more clearly. I was trying to be brief.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
The DOC reviews the records of each prisoner when they need to make such a release. The prisoner does not get to file a request, it is purely by needs of the facility for space as determined by the DOC.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you