Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I have a friend who is 62. He was convicted of robbery in New

Customer Question
York 40 years ago and...
I have a friend who is 62. He was convicted of robbery in New York 40 years ago and served an 18 month sentence. He has not had any further problems with the exception of moving violations. He graduated from dental school but never practiced dentistry, opting instead to work in the transportation field for 30 years. He is now retired but needs additional income and wants to apply for jobs possibly working in a school system or even the federal government. What can he do about his record? I know it can't be expunged but is there something he can obtain from NY? I heard there's some sort of certificate. He has not had any major problems in 40 years and by training, has a DDS degree. Thanks for your response.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
4/1/2011
Criminal Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacEsq :

A person is eligible to receive a Certificate of Relief from Disabilities if he or she has been convicted of no more than one felony and any number of misdemeanors. A Certificate of Relief from Disabilities restores many rights that were lost as a result of a felony conviction. In addition, a public agency or private employer shall give consideration to a Certificate of Relief from Disabilities issued to an applicant and the certificate "shall create a presumption of rehabilitation in regard to the offense or offenses specified therein."

The typical case in New York takes about 6 months to a year.

ScottyMacEsq :

Here are some of the benefits of this certificate:

ScottyMacEsq :

• Allows you to tell potential employers that you have been found rehabilitated by a court or the Board of Parole.

• You may become eligible for more types of professional licenses and certificates.

• Can greatly improve your earning capacity by opening countless job opportunities.

• The granting of the certificate will appear on your back ground check.

• You may become eligible for more and better student loans.

• You may become eligible for more and better housing assistance and opportunities.

• Can possess, own, use a firearm.

ScottyMacEsq :

Here's a law firm that I have worked with in the past that deals with these types of cases: http://www.recordgone.com/newyork/certificate-of-relief-from-disabilities/

ScottyMacEsq :

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please select the "accept" button. If you have already clicked "accept", or if you will in the future, please let me know so I can track these for my own reports and customer satisfaction stats. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX good luck to you!

ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer