TexCrimLawyer, J.D.
TexCrimLawyer, J.D., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in state and federal criminal litigation.
45002201

I am being threatened by a kid from my neighborhood. Me and

I am being threatened by a kid from my neighborhood. Me and his girlfriend are friends and he doesn't like it. He is threatening physical violence via text message and has done it multiple times. What should I do?

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

You should contact the police.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Sending you threatening messages is a crime.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

First off, it is a crime to harass someone, that is, send them harassing text messages, phone calls, e-mails, etc.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Second, it is a crime to threaten to do bodily harm to another person. This person is possibly breaking the law in both ways and could be charged with two different crimes.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

You should report this to the police and DO NOT DELETE the messages.

Customer:

Well the most recent one is from about 20 minutes ago, and the others got automatically deleted. But the most recent one did infact include physical violence. If I report this to the police, would one text message suffice even though there have been more?

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

One could be enough, but the police may be able to recover deleted text messages from your phone.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

I hope that answers your question. If not, feel free to ask follow up questions. If so, please click the "Accept" button.

Customer:

What action would the police take? Could I press charges and/or get a restraining order?

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

If you do have follow up questions, I need to step away for about 15 minutes. I'll answer your questions then.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

The police would initiate an investigation. This means that they will collect evidence and interview witnesses, including you and the other person

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

In my experience, even if the other person is not charged, a visit from the police will convince him to stop what he was doing.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

The police would likely charge him with harassment.

Customer:

Thank you for help, have a good night.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Glad to help. Good luck