How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brandon M. Your Own Question
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 12620
Experience:  Licensed attorney
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Brandon M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was caught stealing purses at nordstrom.. The value is

This answer was rated:

I was caught stealing purses at nordstrom.. The value is $800 and they said its a felony.. I don't have any criminal background at all.a detective investigate me and told me i can go home if i will write a letter to nordstrom stating i dont mean o steal the purse and to say orry so i did but he fooled me, they put me o jail. I just bail out. What do you think will happen to me? A havea court date already.
Hello there:

Is this your first offense?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I accidentally bumped this question over to our employment law category. I apologize.

For a first time offense, the prosecution would most likely offer to dismiss the felony in exchange for plea to petty theft, which is a misdemeanor. $800 is right on the cusp of a felony any way, so it's pretty likely that they would do that. Further jail time is also extremely unlikely. The most likely result would be, in exchange for a guilty plea, they would reduce the charge to petty theft, no further jail time, a fine, repayment to the store, and 2 years of probation which includes a promise to not go back to the store.

When you go to the first court hearing, plea "not guilty" so that a public defender can be assigned to you. The public defender is an attorney who can go over the evidence and make sure that your rights are protected before you decide whether or not to plead guilty.

Let me know if I may be of further assistance. Thank you.
Brandon M. and 5 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
But i told the investigator that i really took it and told me to write a sorry letter to nordstrom.. Rhats evidence already right? And if it was charge fir petty theft how much is the fine? So you mean i hve a big chance not going to the jail? If petty theft you think is it going to show on my record which will make me bad and cannot be accepted to work? Sorry im a single mom.. Please answer me im so scared.. Its just a mistake.
It can be used as evidence against you, yes. The admissibility of that evidence would depend on the circumstances and would need to be discussed with a public defender.

The typical fine is $300, plus court costs.

Yes, you would typically have a very large chance of not going to jail.

A petty theft would appear on a criminal background check. How a prospective employer treats that conviction, or if they even do a background check, depends on the employer.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If the case gets dismissed by court, is there anything thats going to appear on my records? If so, will it ever be cleared after a certain period of time, or after maybe theft counseling or probation? Im applying for a job at the county, you think i cannot get it due to this situation? Kindly answer me please?
base on all the information that i gave you.. If your the judge what should i expect? I need a straight answer? Period.
If a criminal case is dismissed by the courts, it appears on a person's record as a dismissal. In California, it may not be cleared from your record completely, but a dismissal is inconsequential.

I didn't understand your last comment because I thought I explained what was typical for a case like this, but maybe I wasn't clear. If further clarification is needed on that, just let me know.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Nevermind about my last comment, i clearly understand now. Thanks.
If anything appears on my record, is expungement or sealing and destroying my criminal records an option to get a clean slate? If so, how long before i am able to avail of this option, and do i need a lawyer and appear on courts for this.
None of those things are options in California without a pardon from the Governor. California has something called a 1203.4 dismissal which prevents most employers from viewing a conviction, but that's it. The 1203.4 option would be available after completing probation on a misdemeanor.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you.. Can you please email me your full information and ontact number fo future assistance.. I can assure you shoplifting will never be the topic.. I made a stupid mistake.. My email add..***@******.***
Actually, I can't. The experts affiliated with the site are prohibited from making contact with the customers except through the site (lest we steal their business away). I am still glad to work with you if something comes up again; just ask for my by name through the website. Also, please remember to "accept" one of my answers. It hurts my average when customers don't accept. Thanks.