Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I was arrested and charged for Assault of my ex-wife in 1988.

After the court proceedings, I...

After the court proceedings, I was ordered to pay fine and attend a family violence workshop all of which I did complete, and returned to the court. The case was dismissed.

It was my understanding that after all those processes, it would not be placed on my record. To my greatest amazement, it still shows up in my criminal record.

What should I do to expunge this record?
3/2/2011
If the case was dismissed that does not mean it was automatically expunged, but you need to go to the clerk of court's office and ask them for a form to expunge the dismissed case and they will give you one to file and you do not need an attorney to do so. When you file the motion to expunge, the court will then issue an order to expunge and the record will be removed, but it is still available for law enforcement and certain state agencies to see.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

You mentioned that the State and other agences could still have the information after it is removed, what is the essence of the expungement?
The purpose is that is not visible to the general person or employer conducting a background check (although some companies doing backgrounds can get old records and then you have to give them proof it is expunged and they will remove it from their background checks). Certain government agencies still have a right to see records as do law enforcement, but dismissed cases are not to be held against someone in denial of any rights or benefits.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer