How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 29981
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I reside in Seattle, Washington. I am currently facing

This answer was rated:


I reside in Seattle, Washington. I am currently facing a DUI charge and have an arraignment hearing scheduled for this weekend. I am considering entering a guilty plea so as to get this thing taken care of, and I am willing to accept responsibility for my actions.

My question is, if I enter a guilty plea, is the court likely take into consideration any circumstances in order to possibly reduce the penalty? I am paying child support for two children and have never been delinquent. I have no criminal record or previous arrests. I have been in therapy since the incident and have also been clean and sober (it has been four months). I realize this is a serious charge, but I cannot afford an attorney; I realize I will have to answer for my actions, but I really just want to get this taken care of.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Generally speaking, if you are willing to plead guilty, you have the option of throwing yourself on the mercy of the court - apologize profusely, admit that what you did was wrong and that it'll never happen again, and ask the judge to take it easy on you.

Now, before you go into court and plead guilty, I want you to be aware that Washington is unique in that it offers a deferred prosecution program for first-time DUI offenders. RCW 10.05. Basically, what this means is that, if you are eligible, you would be asked to complete a term of probation. If you do everything that you are supposed to do and successfully complete probation, which will include treatment, the judge will dismiss the charges. So, you may want to see if you are eligible for this program and what it entails before entering a guilty plea. Even if you plead not guilty, you have the option of changing your mind at any time before trial.

Because jail time is possible for a DUI charge, when you go to the arraignment, the judge will appoint an attorney for you if you cannot afford one. It might be worth the time to at least take a few minutes to talk to the public defender.

Good luck.
Lucy, Esq. and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you very much for your timely reply. I will make it a point to ask the public defender if the deferral option is available to me.
You're welcome. I hope it works out for you.