How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can someone move out of state before being sentenced and put

Resolved Question:

Can someone move out of state before being sentenced and put on probation (I'm presuming) for a misdemeanor? They have no stipulations as of right now, just waiting for their court date. They were going to move last year, but because of money they didn't but now that their taxes are here they jut told me that they can better afford it.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 6 years ago.



If there was no bond, then they can move. They just need to be sure to appear in court or a bench warrant will be issued for their arrest.



Samuel II and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do you know if the probation terms will be the same or will it transfer once they come back? They are looking at 3 years probation and suspended license for 6 months.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 6 years ago.



If the DA has made that offer, then they usually will hold to it. He will need to have the probabtion transferred and that is up to the other state to decide if they will accept supervision.


If he has established a home and is employed in the other state, it is very possible that the other state will accept supervision.


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, he already made a deal as far as he told me, but what are the odds that he will maybe lessen it or change it due to the fact that he moved/process of moving. Not to get out of it and that was not at all his intention and it wasn't a violent crime, but to maybe have him do something rather than in person supervised probation or the length.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 6 years ago.



Thank you for that information. Is there a question in that regard?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry, would the other state change the terms at all?