How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 116814
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

this my second offince in being behind on child support. I

Customer Question

this my second offince in being behind on child support. I need to knowif there is any lawyer that can help me get this body attatchment dropped with out going to jail? and how long do you think i will go to jail for if i turn my self in?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
If this is your second offense, the attorney can likely get you out of going to jail but you will have to appear in the court with the arrears you owe in your hand ready to pay them. Also, at the same time you need to get the attorney to file a motion to modify your support based on your significant change in financial circumstances and seek to get future support reduced. Yes, the attorney can likely prevent jail, but cannot prevent you having to surrender to the court on the attachment.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
all I have is 680 dollers thats 3 months of support. do you think the judge will be ok with that. I really cant go to jail, Indiana is so strict.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
If you cannot pay better than at least 1/2 of the support owed and this is a second offense, the court is not likely to be very understanding about this and it would be something you would need an attorney to negotiate to avoid jail and the deal would have to involve the completion of catching up on the arrears within a time period set by the court.