How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27115
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a court date next week for a misdemeanor charge. I work

Resolved Question:

I have a court date next week for a misdemeanor charge. I work in a liquor store for a large grocery chain and I sold to an underage operative of the ATF. I have never been arrested for anything. I expect to pay a fine but I don’t want this to appear on my record. Can I ask the judge to withhold judgment?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 years ago.

You can ask and it's not unreasonable, but the DA would have to be willing to consent to it. It's best to have a lawyer negotiate this as the prosecutor may not be willing to talk to you without a lawyer.
Zoey_ JD and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you