How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was recently convicted of retail theft in PA and pleaded

Customer Question

I was recently convicted of retail theft in PA and pleaded guilty. I paid the fines and everything. Is the ARD program still an option of mine? I'm currently in a RA class to be a resident assistant and in order to get hired they need to do a background check. Will this show up? How much detail will it show? Thank you.   I really would like to do anything possible to get this off my record. I'm willing to pay anything to do so. It was a stupid mistake.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 6 years ago.



When you say "recent" how recent?


What was your sentence, if not ARD?


Was that ever offered to you in a plea agreement?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Recent as in mid decmeber of 2010. My sentence was a summary offense and I had to pay a fine of 150$ i believe. And a plea agreement was never offered.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 6 years ago.



I see. The ARD is not available now as it is something the DA would have had to file a certification on with the Court before you were adjudicated and a disposition in the case.


But you should check with the DA or the courts and be sure that you are not ARD since you only paid a fine.




Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Who do I contact in order to check with them? Just call the office directly?

Also, what comes up on my background check? Considering it is only a summary offense? Will it say retail theft and/or details of the event?
Expert:  Samuel II replied 6 years ago.



You can contact the clerk of the court where you paid the fine. The clerk should be able to explain if you have an ARD or not.


Or you may contact the local DA's office directly and request someone tell you if you were given ARD on this summary offense. If you were, you would also be on probation. So that might help you to know if you are or not.


Unfortunately, the conviction will appear on your back ground as a retail theft.