How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27450
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Son was convicted of robery (Felony) 24 years ago. He received

Resolved Question:

Son was convicted of robery (Felony) 24 years ago. He received 5 years probation. His record is clean since then. Good work record, married and owns a home. Can he recovery voting and firearm rights
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 years ago.
Hello Jacustomer,

Any felony plea, no matter how old, will costs a defendant his state and Federal gun rights. When there's a state offense, the Feds will grant a felony offender his rights back if the state of Texas restores all of his civil rights -- right to vote, to sit on a jury, to hold office, and full gun rights -- and gets his state felony conviction expunged, set aside or pardoned.

Unfortunately, the only convictions that Texas will expunge are those which have first been pardoned by the governor. So that is where you would have to start. (
see Texas Expungement Law.)

Getting a pardon is very difficult, but if you can get one granted, he would then go back and petition the court for the expungement, for which you would then be eligible. Although there are lawyers who specialize in pardons and expungments, no lawyer is required.

The Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles screens applicants for pardons in your state. I have linked you to their site where you can find more information and downloadable forms.. Once again, you would not be required to hire a lawyer to apply for this. Should he be fortunate enough to get the pardon, you apply for the expungement and ask for all of your gun rights back. If you get the expungement too, you're home-free.
Zoey_ JD and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you