How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118780
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im being told that since WA state is a shared property state

Resolved Question:

I'm being told that since WA state is a shared property state regarding marriage that I can be held accountable for my spouse's criminal fines, since some states look at the fines almost as a "civial judgement" for lack of a better term. I'm trying to find out what kind of lawyer I need to be looking for, as someone mentioned a bankruptsy lawwer? Ugh, this is so complicated. Thanks, Kim
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
WA is a community property state. This means that all of the assets and debts accumulated during the course of a marriage belong to both spouses in an equal and undivided share. Thus, if one spouse gets a fine or debt during the course of the marriage can come out of the marital funds from both spouses. The only way around this is if the parties have established a separate property regime prior to the occurrence of the debt. Thus, if there is a marital debt and there is no money to pay it, then bankruptcy may an option, but fines for crimes, taxes, student loans or child support cannot be extinguished in bankruptcy. You need to sit with a family law attorney to discuss how to best protect yourself.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks so much for your assistance. Kim
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. Please do not forget to click on accept.
Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you