How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an issue I need to resolve with a city traffic court. I

This answer was rated:

I have an issue I need to resolve with a city traffic court.
I had a speeding ticket with a missing front license plate. I replaced the plate, but misplaced the ticket, and the court date is LONG since passed. I cannot afford to lose my license, which has kept me from dealing with this until now, but how can I address this matter?

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®. I am a licensed attorney, and I will be glad to try and assist you.


To provide you with accurate information, could you please clarify these points so I can best address your inquiry:


  1. How "long" passed is it?
  2. What information did the clerk provide?



Once I hear back from you, I will be glad to let you know my answer. There may be some delay as I am assisting other customers or am away from my computer. Please rest assured, however, that I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
1. Quite long. More than a year.
2. Very little. She said that I might be able to appear, but was not very specific.

Thank you for the additional information.


You should begin by determining what has happened to the ticket and the attached fines and costs. The clerk will have this information and you can obtain it from them directly or, perhaps, on their website. You can locate their site via a simple internet search. For example, you would search, "erie county clerk of court". Once you locate their site, navigate around a bit and see if they have the information online. Most clerks will have a link such as "public information", "court case search", "pay your traffic ticket" or some other similar link.


If the ticket is still with the clerk, you can simply go to the local clerk of court office and pay the ticket and whatever fines were added for being late. You should also check as to whether the delinquency caused your driver's license to be suspended. If so, you will need to go to the local department of motor vehicles to obtain a new license.


As the ticket is so old, it may have been sold to a collection agency. If so, you will need to get the phone number of the agency from the clerk and contact the agency to pay off the fine.


The bad news is that you probably added a couple hundred dollars in fines and costs for being late. The good news is that you can probably have it all cleared up by the end of the week.


I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click ACCEPT. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!


Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Joseph and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am going off-line for the evening. Please feel free to respond, if necessary, and know that I will be back on-line tomorrow.


Thank you for your patience.