How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27705
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

North Carolina in 2009 I got a speeding ticket and reckless

Resolved Question:

North Carolina
in 2009 I got a speeding ticket and reckless driving i plead guilty and my license was suspened for a year. now i have a potential job that if a reckless driving shows up on My driving report i wont get the job. can I fix this and how fast
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 years ago.
Hello Jacustomer,

Unfortunately, the remedy is to get your misdemeanor erased. States, however, are all very different when it comes to which records they will erase. No state is really generous. They want their crimes to stick wherever possible.

NC is among the more harsh states. It will not remove convictions, except for the first juvenile misdemeanor. It will expunge records of acquittals, dismissals and reversals. Here is a link to the NC expungement laws.

The only other thing you can do -- and it is very tough to get -- would be to apply for a pardon from the Governor of your state. That wouldn't erase your record and it couldn't help you with this particular job, but if you were able to obtain a pardon, tthat would be official recognition from the state that you have turned your life around and should make you a more desirable candidate to employers.

You would not need a lawyer to apply for a pardon and would need to get the forms from the North Carolina Office of Executive Clemency.
Zoey_ JD and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you