Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I have a friend who is on probation. He has been out of prison

for over two years and...
I have a friend who is on probation. He has been out of prison for over two years and doing great. However, recently, he had to move from where he was living. He is now living in a motel.

Can he go to his parole officer to seek guidance/help to find a new place to live. Is this something a parole office should provide assistance with if so needed.
3/1/2011
LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer

Thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance as I answer your question.

1. I am a licensed attorney with criminal law and corrections experience. I will be glad to try and answer your questions. I hope that the following information will be helpful to you, but please just write back if you have any follow-up questions or need clarification on anything after reviewing the following information.
  2. "Can he go to his parole officer to seek guidance/help to find a new place to live. Is this something a parole office should provide assistance with if so needed." Yes to both questions. It would be absolutely fine and appropriate for your friend to approach the parole officer and seek input and guidance. In fact, and this is especially true under the scheme in large jurisdictions such as California, parole officers certainly have a vested interest in assisting those on their caseload in finding housing and employment. This is all part of preventing recidivism, and I think your friend may be surprised to find the parole officer more receptive than expected. These are hard times, especially for a convicted felon making his way in society. I commend you for being concerned. Your friend is fortunate to have such a caring friend in his corner.
  3. I hope that makes sense, but please do not hesitate to write back if needed. I shall be signing off soon to attend to some other professional obligations. Please rest assured, however, that I will be sure to check for any updated posts from you when I return to this online forum. I hope all works out for your friend.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.

LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer

Thanks for you answer. I will be honest in saying this friend is my brother. Is it true that if he is homeless he can go back to prison? I will accept you answer after you answer these question, ty.

LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer