How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27049
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello,I am writing to say that I am thinking of bringing

Resolved Question:

I am writing to say that I am thinking of bringing attempted murder charges against my former husband. He and I were divorced on Jan. 12, 2011.
I believe I have (unproven) evidence that he may bave tried to do away with me on 2 separate occasions:
1) as I was driving to work one day, my steering wheel suddenly started to shake violently.
Before I could get to a garage, which was about 4 miles away, my front, driver's side driver fell off and my vehicle landed on its rim. When the tow truck arrived, the mechanic scooted down and said to me, "Mam, do you realize that you have NO lug nuts on this wheel? At the time, I jokingly said, "Hmmmm.....could this be sabotage?" The mechanic said, "Sure looks like it." When I called my husband to explain what had just happened and that I would be late getting home, he did not offer to come pick me up....nothing....not upset....didn't ask ANY questions.
About 6 months later, I had major surgery. The doc sent me home with both strong and moderate pain killers. As I was unable to get up to take the medication, it was my husband who was giving me the medication by mouth and having me swallow them with water. Within 48 hours of being home and my husband administering my medication to me, I was unable to focus my eyes, I could barely walk and when I DID walk, I could only walk in a diagonal line. I then asked him to take me to the hospital. On the way to the hospital, I asked him to call 911....I felt like I was dying. The ambulance met us and I was transferred into the ambulance. Upon arrival at the hospital ER, the doc ascertained that I had had a heart attack and I was air-lifted to a medical center in central Maine.
When this entire incidence was reported to the surgeon who had operated on me, the surgeon said that the reaction I had had to the medication he sent me home with was impossible. He said that he had me on the SAME medication in the hospital and I had done just fine while on it.
Yes, I have no real proof for either incident, However, my husband was a very abusive alcoholic and put me through very cruel verbal, mental, and emotional abuse while I was with him. He abandoned me overnight in Sept. 2010 and I never heard back from him.
I don't know WHAT could come from suing him for attempted murder. I DO have witnesses that will testify to his cruel character.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 years ago.
Hi Jacustomer,

I think that if you were still living with your ex-husband, or if he were in touch with you enough for you to have a reason to be very fearful for your safety as a result of his past history, the authorities might take your matter very seriously. But as he's dropped out of your life altogether and all you have are suspicions, it's less likely. Not every crime reported gets prosecuted. With criminal law in order to get a conviction, the state has to prove a defendant guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. If you can't even be sure that your husband did anything wrong, the prosecutor likely wouldn't be able to amass enough supporting evidence to meet its burden of proof.

Nevertheless, there would be nothing wrong with filing a police report, just to go on record, in case, for any reason he starts turning up again the way exes sometimes can. It will make it that much easier to get a protective order if down the road you need one.
Zoey_ JD and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions