Nate, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
11217539

In Virginia, can a convicted felon currently on parole get

In Virginia, can a convicted felon currently on parole get permission to leave the country on a contractual work assignment?
Thank you for your question.

The almost universal answer is "no". The whole point of parole is supervision, and it's impossible to supervise someone not in the country.

That being said, if the parolee has a good relationship with parole officer, you may get permission for a limited time period to work outside the country. This would imply never missing an appointment, having stayed out of trouble and having met all other requirements of parole

I will be happy to follow up with you if you have additional questions. In the meantime, please click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for answering your question.

Thanks!

Nathan Moore
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi, thank you for your response. I work as a consultant and am fairly confident that I can structure my contract to meet requirements to come back for all appointments so what would I do if I wanted to move this inquiry along? Do I schedule time with a judge or does my probation officer arrange that? Is that even the next step?

Thanks!

The next step is to talk to your PO. Depending on the judge, they may be able to approve the travel. Some judges are more hands on. If you need judicial approval, your PO can arrange a time to consult with the court.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Good enough...thanks very much for your insight.