How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27747
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had committed a shoplifting crime at costco. And my court

Resolved Question:

I had committed a shoplifting crime at costco. And my court day is next month. The police did not get my social security number but got my driver lisence. This incident occured in Marana, Arizona. Can you tell me what to do to protect myself legally? Thanks.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 years ago.
Hello, Jacustomer,

As a general rule, if this is your first contact with the criminal justice system, unless there are very unusual circumstances here, the standard plea offer if you don't want to take this case to trial would involve a sentence of probation, along with restitution to the store. In Arizona, it the value of the goods is under $1,000, the case against you would be a misdemeanor. The lower the amount of value you took, the better the chance that you may also even be able to walk away from this without incurring a criminal record, whereby your case could be dismissed after the successful completion of the terms of your probation.

The best way to protect yourself is to know what all your rights and choices are so that you can make intelligent and informed decisions on your behalf. Criminal cases can have lifetime consequences. That means you should hire a criminal lawyer and have him with you at your arraignment (first court date). Your lawyer is the only person in the criminal justice system whose sole duty it is to safeguard your rights. The judge and proscutor have a different agenda. Do not try to take care of this without counself. If you can't afford a lawyer, plead not guilty at your arraignments (all defendants start off as not guilty under US law, so even if you know that you did this, you are legally allowed to plead not guilty) and then ask the judge to appoint you a public defense lawyer.

Edited by FranL on 2/2/2011 at 3:59 AM EST
Zoey_ JD and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you