How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 33554
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i would like to know what i can do to seal my juvenile record.

Customer Question

i would like to know what i can do to 'seal' my juvenile record. i am 28 yrs old and i keep losing work because of a juvenile assault charge that occured when i was 12. for some reason, my employers are able to retrieve this information through multiple online background data service providers. i was under the impression that juvenile records were automatically sealed at a persons 18th birthday, but i have since learned that this is not the case. what can i do to fix this? i already called the juvenile courts and they told me i could not access my records without a court order, which makes no sense to me. i was told by a friend that there is a motion i could file to ensure that only law enforcement could access my information, but that was all the info he knew. please help.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 years ago.
How do you know that the employers are accessing this info? Also, do you know which agencies they are using to access the data?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i have been fired from three companies all presenting me with electronic copies of the background reports. i do not have the emails any longer. this has occurred over the course of two years.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 years ago.
It is definitely supposed to be sealed. You can file a motion with the court to issue a specific order sealing the file, as well as the case itself, or you can sue the companies that are reporting it because they are not supposed to be. You can also do a combination of the two. You will want to hire a lawyer to help you because this is an unusual case. You will also want to find out how they companies got access to the files.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i do not think this answers my question at all. i know it is supposed to be sealed, i know i need to file a motion, and i know i have the ability to sue the companies releasing this information. what i need are specifics on a general scale. which laws relate to the sealing of juvenile records, what specific motions can i request that relate to my situation, and what laws/regulations relate to the distribution of protected information?