How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Hammer O'Justice Your Own Question
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 4497
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Hammer O'Justice is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is concerning a federal inmate who want to file a tort

This answer was rated:

This is concerning a federal inmate who want to file a tort lawsuit because his health has been permanently damaged due to a doctor's neglect. Question: Once he has completed this process, will an attorney be assigned to his case being that he can't afford an attorney himself?

Unfortunately, indigent defendants are only entitled to free criminal representation. The Constitution does not require the government to provide someone with free representation in a civil matter. He will have to contact legal aid or another pro bono group if he wants to try to get legal assistance. Here are some resources:

Also, if the doctor is a prison doctor, there may be a prisoner's rights issue which means he would be able to contact the ACLU and see if they can assist him as well.
Hammer O'Justice and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions