How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27494
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I accidently almost hit a guy in another vehicle when I was

Resolved Question:

I am in North Carolina. One night leaving the airport I left the parking lot in a little bit of a hurry. In front of my vehicle there was an employee leaving workin his car. He was driving the same direction I was, and thought I almost hit hit. I did not in fact. He then called the airport police, shortly after that I got pulled over and cited for careless driving and assault with a deadly weapon. No contact was made what so ever. what can I do about this?   I am in the military and something like this can effect my career. How do I go about this in court?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Can you please tell me what state you are in and what exactly happened?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am in North Carolina. I was leaving the airport one night and I pulled out of the parking lot a little quick. infront of me was a airport employee in His vehicle driving the same direction to me. He thought I was going to hit him and called the airport police on me. I was pulled over and cited for assault with a deadly weapon.
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.
I am going to opt out and open this up to other experts. My apologies for any inconveniences.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, looking at the ticket they also put careless driving in there too. I am in the Military and this sort of thing could hurt my career. How do I plead to this in court?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 years ago.
Hello Jacustomer,

Thank you for your question.

You have a career to protect, but even if you didn't, the only plea you ever enter at the beginning of a criminal case is "Not Guilty." Our Constitution says that every defendant is innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt and that they are not required to incriminate themselves. They have the right to stand silent and put the state to its proof. So no matter what you did or didn't do here, the only way you can keep all of your rights and choices open until you get fully advised, is by exercising your right to plead "not guilty." You don't give that right up unless you get something in exchange for it, such as a plea offer that will not jeopardize your career.

You are going to need a criminal lawyer. Have him with you on your first date, and he'll be able to guide you through the court procedures and assist you with any decisions you will have to make. The case against you seems overcharged to me, based on the way you described the circumstances. I think that careless driving is probably all the state may really have here. However, a car can certainly be used as a deadly weapon and I am not privy to what the prosecutor has heard from the police and the complainant.

If the charge stands, it is a felony, so for now, at least, you will have to take this case very seriously. If the state drops or dismisses that charge your lawyer should probably be able to negotiate something that won't hurt you.

If you have no idea where to turn to find a criminal lawyer you can get one from your State Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service. Their $50 or less referral fee includes a free consultation with a prescreened member of the criminal bar in good professional standing. And if you don't like him there's no obligation to hire him.

Good luck.
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27494
Experience: Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Zoey_ JD and 6 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you