How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 13493
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Brother lives in NJ with my parents. Over the past three

This answer was rated:

My Brother lives in NJ with my parents. Over the past three years, my Mother has developed Cancer and the chemo and treatments have taken her mind from her. We have recently had my Father tkae "power of attorney". In the meantime, my Brother, unemployed, partier, lazy, and con man tricked my mother into giving him her debit card and motored through 10,000.00 of my parents retirement money on booze, drugs and probaly woman. There is definitely a history of my mother giving money to my Brother but that was when she was healthy in her mind. My B rother is 38, has not worked steady in 10 years and lives in the basement. He has been in trouble before, in fact I bailed him out once for possesion. My Father filed a claim withg the bank, got his money back, and signed to prosecute whomever they catch for stealing the money. My Brothers signatures and pictures are all over the ATM and bank records.

My question is, what are the implications of his actions, how long will he go to jail for and is their concern that he can say "she gave me the card"

Good afternoon, thank you for your question.


This would likely be charged as theft in the third degree (theft valued between $500-$75,000). The maximum penalty is up to 5 years in state prison. There is no way to predict what his sentence will ultimately be, however. There is no minimum mandatory sentence, instead, it depends on a number of factors, such as his past criminal record, the harm to the victim (I'm glad to hear your father was able to get the bank to return the funds), whether he cooperates with the police, if he makes restitution to the bank, etc. Do I think he would do time if convicted? Yes, I'd think at least a year to 18 months, followed by probation. Ultimately, of course, the sentence would be up to the judge.


As to your brother raising the defense that your mother gave him the card, I think it's probable. However, I think it will be easy to show that the treatments and medications your mother has had to take have affected her mentally and that she is not always able to think clearly or understand what she is doing.


Please let me know if I have not fully addressed your concerns.

JUST ANSWER IS A "PAY FOR SERVICE". Please click on the ACCEPT BUTTON for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. No payment for my time and effort is made until you click accept (even if you put down a deposit or have a subscription). A BONUS TIP is also appreciated. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.

This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.

RobertJDFL and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions