Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

i was convicted of a 10851 and will possibly be reduced to

a midemeanor my attorney says...
i was convicted of a 10851 and will possibly be reduced to a midemeanor my attorney says i will be able to own a gun again is this true
2/1/2011
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

When were you convicted?
9/22/2010
Yes it can be possibly reduced to misdemeanor and later discharged in California if this is your first offense.

i know it can be reduced i needed to know if my attorney was correct in saying i would be able to own a gun again after the charge was reduced and my probation was over
Yes. Because you would not have felony conviction on your record.

in the Penal code section 1203.4 for expungement it states, and i qoute,

"Dismissal of an accusation or information pursuant to this section does not permit a person to own, possess, or have in his or her custody or control any firearm or to prevent his or her conviction under Section 12021." does this not apply to me due to the fact that it will be reduced to a misdemeanor without expungement or am i just confusing myself

You are not getting an expungement, you are getting a charge reduced to a misdemeanor.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.
Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.
Bonus and Positive Feedback are always appreciated. Thank you and good luck!

Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law