Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

I live in Suffolk County, New York. Therefore the answer should

I live in Suffolk County, New York. Therefore the answer should be directed to this locality, not NY City.

About 10 years ago I sold 2 blackpowder firearms to an individual. I used to do Civil War reenacting, but quit the hobby, thus I did not need the blackpowder firearms anymore. I never got a receipt for this "transaction". I was wondering if I was required by any state or federal law to either report the transaction and/or keep a record of it.

I am not concerned with anyone doing something bad with the firearms as I would not sell to an unsuitable person. I just want to make sure I didn't have to get a receipt or report the sale. Again, this is NOT New York City, but Suffolk County on Long Island. So if you are not familiar with the laws as applied to this locality, do not answer the question.

Alex Esquire :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex Esquire :

Are you online with me?

Customer :

Yes

Alex Esquire :

Black powder firearms are actually excluded from regulations in most states and municipalities including long island.

Alex Esquire :

Even in NYC black powder firearms are legal, but the gun powder itself is not as it is considered explosive.

Customer :

So there doesn't have to be a bunch of formalities associated with selling them?

Customer :

Like keeping receipts or reporting sales.

Alex Esquire :

No. I was a law enforcement officer in NYC and also a gun enthusiast, so I have in depth knowledge on this subject.

Customer :

Ok, can I ask you one more quick question? I will give a bonus if you answer.

Alex Esquire :

As a matter of fact you can also purchase black powder firearms over the internet legally and have the shipped to you not an FFL dealer.

Alex Esquire :

Sure, I would be glad to answer

Customer :

I have rifles that shoot pistol caliber rounds like .357mag and .44mag. Oftentimes a gun dealer won't sell pistol ammunition unless someone shows a pistol license. But when I explain the ammo is for rifles they almost always sell the ammo to me. I do not have a pistol license, nor do I own any pistols...just the above mentioned rifles. Does one actually need a pistol license to buy pistol ammunition?

Alex Esquire :

No, not on Long Island. Also you can order it by mail, it is actually cheaper.

Alex Esquire :

There are many long guns that shoot 9mm for example

Customer :

Thank you for your time, I will give you a bonus and a great rating.

Alex Esquire :

Thank you and I wish you best of luck!

Alex Esquire :

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.
Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.
Bonus and Positive Feedback are always appreciated. Thank you and good luck!