How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27450
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how do i find out if i have used my deffered judgment

Resolved Question:

how do i find out if i have used my deffered judgment?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 years ago.

If you've had prior contact with the criminal justice system and got some kind of probationary sentence with a promise that your conviction would be set aside and dismissed upon completion of your probation, you got a deferred adjudication.

Not every probation plea results i that, and if it was not explained to you that you case would be dismissed when you fulfilled your requirements, it was probably not part of your deal

But to find out for sure, you could contact your lawyer, who could tell you. You could also go with proof of your identification to the clerk of the court where you took your plea and ask him to look up the case on the computer and see if your conviction was deferred.

If you don't need the information in a hurry, you could also order a copy of your official criminal history. You could obtain that from the state itself. You could also get it from the source that the government itself accesses when doing a background check, which is the FBI. It costs $18 and you can order their kit on line. Avoid the commercial websites that say they can check your record. They are frequently inaccurate.
Zoey_ JD and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you