Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I was turned down in Pa. too buy a hand gun. I have a misdemeanor

M-1. I did 6 months...
I was turned down in Pa. too buy a hand gun. I have a misdemeanor M-1. I did 6 months probation for the crime. The charge was pornograph materials. Nothing to do with guns.
1/25/2011
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Thanks for the chance to assist on this matter. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience in criminal law.

That is odd...were you denied on the federal check? Did they state a reason (Since an non DV misdemeanor is not a bar to gun ownership)?
I'm not sure if it was A State or Federal back ground check. I sent a form in about two weeks ago for a reason I was denied.
Thanks

Just a moment, I am pulling the law....
OK, I have the PA Law...can you tell me what section of the PA law was the M1 Conviction? Was this child porn? Or something else?
No it wasn't child porn. It was called obscene pornography
There is something wrong here. Here is the law that applies in PA

18 PaCS 6105

Take a look at para (b)...you can see the offenses that make is illegal for a person to own a firearm. Pornography is not on there (I asked if child porn, since "corruption of minors" is...and thought perhaps that it was related...but it seems not).

BotXXXXX XXXXXne: There is a mistake it seems. The offense you were convicted of is not a bar, under PA law, to firearms ownership.

I would first contact your state Attorney General and get a copy of your criminal record....MAKE SURE ITS ACCURATE. If they have you down for a conviction you did not do, you need to address that.

Then, assuming the record is correct, I go back to the authority that denied your application and request they re-evaluate...do this with a copy of your criminal record and the PA law above in hand.

It seems there is a mistake, either with your record, or with the licensing authority...but it is possible to fix.
P. Simmons, Lawyer
P. Simmons, Lawyer