Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

We are small company that provides retail and wholesale products

not a very profitable at...
We are small company that provides retail and wholesale products not a very profitable at the moment, however we have certain incentives to promote our products so resellers can buy, we carry a limited amount of lines we offer them for a small contribution a month for people who wants to carry a phone line so they can use it to resell product via locally, swap meets, magazines, the business idea never really worked that great however the need of getting lines and lines was overwhelming to the point that basically we have converted from a tiny retail online store to a communication rental center!.

We have commission only personnel, who in reality they aren't direct employees but they make money getting a % on the sale of the product, we give the lines to people we look at their id, weather it's CA, of Mexican ID's. Last week we did receive a letter from the United States District Court regarding that a Wiretap warrant was issued for 30 days for one of our lines, we are very very concerned since it says the telephone number and it ours, we are to the point of going bankrupt for this matter, we do not what to do, I read some of the information regarding the law, and we did not recieve a court order or motion. What we should do?
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/3/2011
TexCrimLawyer, J.D.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

I don't think I uderstand exactly what you sell. You refer to people carrying a phone line, but I don't understand what it is you do. Was a line tapped that you sold or your personal line? How is this making you go bankrupt?

JACUSTOMER-byblsek3- :

We primarily sell electronics, used,new, clothing,used new, etc etc, in the border area with USA, lots of people who where we advertize in USA Border area and Mexico area they buy via email, online or via direct connect (I'm in NEVADA), i buy to resell basically, but i came with the idea to offer Nextel Direct Connect for a "small fee" which it's basically how much it cost in Sprint, to some of our customers who wanted to re-sell in the Mexico,San Ysidro side at the begining (Nextel Direct Connect has an option to be able to be used in Mexico unlimited). I started this Business when the recession was starting back in Ag/2008.

JACUSTOMER-byblsek3- :

Little that I knew, the business never really took off, but for some reason the need of the walkie talkie grew tremendously big, all these layoffs in the USA and MEXICO contributed to the growth in communications. Since I was in debt I decided to basically let them just the the fee and "decide later what to buy"

JACUSTOMER-byblsek3- :

pay the fee* (sorry)

JACUSTOMER-byblsek3- :

to an extent of getting over 500 lines.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

So, was the line that was tapped your personal line or a line that you sold?

JACUSTOMER-byblsek3- :

Exactly, we think someone used or it's being used for some criminal activity. The wiretap already finished I got the letter about a week ago. I am very scared since never really happened.

JACUSTOMER-byblsek3- :

SOLD

JACUSTOMER-byblsek3- :

not mine

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

What do you have to be scared about? It was not your line; it was simply a line of a customer. You are not going to be in trouble for was one of your customers was doing.

JACUSTOMER-byblsek3- :

But I don't know and I cant control what they really do using my lines in our business account. So if they are presumably doing some type of criminal activity dont i get nailed aswell???

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

These are lines you sold, correct? You don't use these lines, correct?

JACUSTOMER-byblsek3- :

We don't use them internally no. We rent-em

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

They are cell lines, correct?

JACUSTOMER-byblsek3- :

I discovered they are companies that rent similar to us. But they are 100% comunications renters.

JACUSTOMER-byblsek3- :

Yes CellLines with ONLY DIRECT CONNECT access nothing else. WalktieTalkie

JACUSTOMER-byblsek3- :

Thats pretty much what i've been doing lately, that's whats has been giving me food on the table.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

If you weren't using the lines and did not know what your customers were doing with them, then, no, you won't be in trouble. Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, and all the cell carriers deal with this all the time and the company does not get in trouble.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Based on what you've told me, and assuming I understand you correctly, this is not something you need to worry about.

JACUSTOMER-byblsek3- :

Yes, these people has nothing to do with me although they could have rent the line with the "excuse" reselling my product but instead the op for doing criminal stuff. So OUR company does not get in trouble.

JACUSTOMER-byblsek3- :

I was just to get clear with this

JACUSTOMER-byblsek3- :

okay how do I pay you?

JACUSTOMER-byblsek3- :

While they are investigating since the warrant it's over, should I cut the line?

JACUSTOMER-byblsek3- :

or leave it as is?

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

I don't think you have anything to worry about. You can just leave it as is, unless you get another court order telling you to do something different.

JACUSTOMER-byblsek3- :

The my concern is that since we are a company and we are not basically selling clothes anymore but RENTING our lines

JACUSTOMER-byblsek3- :

Sprint don't really care believe me

JACUSTOMER-byblsek3- :

I have access 100,000 lines

JACUSTOMER-byblsek3- :

if I want too.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Again, if you were not engaged in any illegal activity and did not know the customers were, you will not be in trouble.

JACUSTOMER-byblsek3- :

OK gotcha. So keep the letters for my records

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Keep what letters?

JACUSTOMER-byblsek3- :

The letter they sent me, a warrant for a wiretap.

JACUSTOMER-byblsek3- :

That said they tapped 1 of my lines

JACUSTOMER-byblsek3- :

for 30 days

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Yes, keep it.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Do you have any other questions?

JACUSTOMER-byblsek3- :

ok, Thank you sir. I feel much better. Yes, but does it cost more to ask questions?

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

If it is on a different matter, then yes.

JACUSTOMER-byblsek3- :

Then that should be it. Thank you though.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

In order to pay me, you need to click the "Accept" button. If you have questions on a different matter, then you can post a new question and just say "this question is for TexCrimLawyer" in the title.

JACUSTOMER-byblsek3- :

ok

TexCrimLawyer, J.D.
TexCrimLawyer, J.D.
TexCrimLawyer, J.D.
TexCrimLawyer, J.D., Lawyer