Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

The term blackmail” encompasses threats made by private persons

Customer Question
"The term “blackmail” encompasses threats...
"The term “blackmail” encompasses threats made by private persons to gain anything of value. And generally, a “thing of value” is broadly defined--it includes not only money and property, but also sexual favors"

Does a "thing of value," indeed, include sexual favors?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/3/2011
Criminal Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 7 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

The definition depends on both civil and criminal nature of the matter and the jurisdiction; what state is this in, please?

Michigan
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX this for a criminal or civil matter?
pardon the delay.

I assume this would be criminal in nature.
No worries. I will recategorize your question into the criminal law category and let one of the highly qualified experts in that category answer this question. Please hang on. Apologies for any inconvenience.
Criminal Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for your question.

Are you asking just in a general sense? Or did you want to know how a particular state defines blackmail/extortion, as each state is likely to have a slightly different interpretation of blackmail.

Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 years ago
There is actually no MI case directly stating that sex is a thing of value, but the forcing of someone to have sex against their will through threats or intimidation is at the very least considered rape. It is also arguably blackmail because the courts have said it is not necessarily something of monetary value that constitutes a thing of value, it can have some other type of value.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer