LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience
15277592

Is there any way to prosecute a step-father for child molestation

Is there any way to prosecute a step-father for child molestation that occured 35 years ago?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your daughter's dilemma.

Unfortunately, under Nebraska law, a person must be charged within 7 years of the molestation or no later than the child's 16th birthday, whichever is later in time.

The statute of limitations has already passed and the predator is not capable of being prosecuted, I'm afraid.

I wish you and your family the best in 2011.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so. I do work diligently to provide you with the correct Answer under the law, and because I have no control over what the law is, I ask you not to hold that against me.

It has been my pleasure to assist you, and it would be greatly appreciated if you would
click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having answered your Question. Thank you in advance. Best regards,

Doug

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I haven't been able to see the answer to my question on the link provided. Please resend answer to [email protected]. Thanks
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 years ago.
Good morning,

I have notified customer service of your problem and they will get back with you as soon as possible.

Thanks for your accept...adn in case you can read this message, I will copy the Answer i gave you here as well.

"Good morning,

"
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX afraid this would be the answer. The daughter's did not tell me about this until recently and their lives have been devastated by this "secret". It explains so much of what has happened to them. I am angry and heart-broken to have lived with this sociopath for the last 35+ years.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 years ago.
Justice will be done, eventually. My best to you and your daughters.