How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 9366
Experience:  Since 1983
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I made a very bad decision and forged a check. Within 40 days,

This answer was rated:

I made a very bad decision and forged a check. Within 40 days, I paid back 100% of the check I forged. This is my first offense. What punishment would I be looking at?
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Which State is this in?

Have you been charged with a crime?

Was this an overdraft on a valid checking account?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I live in Nevada. I work as a bookkeeper and I had a verbal agreement with the owner to write and sign the client's signature on checks, if my invoices were not getting paid promptly. In the 2 years I worked for them, I never took them up on it, until October. Since June, their payment to me was running 45 to 60 days in arrears. In October, I decided to terminate our relationship as of 12/31 and only prepare their 2010 tax returns. Only then, did I write a check for prepayment of services. When the client found out, there was a huge fallout. I calculated the difference owed back from the prepayment and cut them a check that next day. The client held on to the check and cashed it on 12/30.


Now, the client wants me to pay additional retribution for 3x the amount of the original check written. The client has not gone to the police, but she has called my family twice and has threatened to contact my current employer.


I am trying to determine if it would be worth it to pay her demands or not.


I'm sorry but I cannot give you any actual legal advice other than to consult a local attorney. You can get a free consultation from some of the Nevada criminal defense lawyers listed by location at

I am not aware of any law in Nevada that lets the person claim 3 times the amount of the check. If your employer reasonably led you to believe that you were authorized to sign the check, you probably have a complete defense even if you do get charged with a crime.

Please consult a local attorney for legal advice.

I hope this information is helpful.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Do you know if there's a law against my client contacting my employer and putting my job at risk? Is it legal for her to demand more money?


I feel like I'm being blackmailed.


It sounds like blackmail to me too, but I have to refer you to a local attorney. The experts here cannot give legal advice, we can just answer questions. Some questions have no simple answer.

You wrote
Do you know if there's a law against my client contacting my employer and putting my job at risk?
No law prevents the former client from contacting the current employer, but the legality of that depends on what the former client tells the employer. If the former client lies to the employer to get you fired, that can be actionable as interference with a contract.
N Cal Attorney and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for accepting my answer.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your information. I appreciate not being so much in the dark now.