How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a brother that is on probation and I have some questions

Resolved Question:

I have a brother that is on probation and I have some questions concerning the treatment of my brother. He is in Washington state. It is winter and really cold 10-30 degrees f outside. My brother is now living in a trailer with no running water/heat ect. He is a level one sex offender. The place that he had his trailer at, recently moved a new family with kids in causing my brother to be evicted by his po. My brother has tried to find a new place to live, but every place he submits to his po, his po says he can't live there cause theres kids that live too close. So the po makes him move to the Walmart parking lot, seems theres a lot of kids there to me? Doesnt make much sense? This is not a very big area and theres kids everywhere! My brother is suicidal and recently tried to kill himself. This is very difficult for me to endure, watching a loved one struggle, freeze, and starve. Seriously, not only is this difficult for him, but this is hard for me too. I think his po is going out of his way to make my brother suffer, because my brother got him written up because the po was sexually harassing him. Because of this my brother was able to get transferred out of state. At that time things were going really well for him once he was away from that po, and got a new one, but my brother was dumb and decided to go do drugs in washington, got caught, other po sent him back and said sorry you messed up back to washington and your old po for you. None of his family even lives in washington. So that brings us back to what i was explaining in the beginning. My brother is not likey to re-offend, it was not sentenced by a judge that he had to not be anywhere near children, as it was a statutory rape situation in which the girl lied about her age. This is totally the po's decision.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 6 years ago.



So, he had an interstate compact to another state and now has been returned to Washington? How long does he have remaining on probabtion? Is he employed at all?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He was able to get transferred to Idaho, was there for about a year, then broke his probation after falling back into a drug habit and was sent back to Washington. I am not sure if he had one chance, or if he got in trouble for something in Washington and kept him there.
No he is not employed, any job he applies for his po says he can't do the job for one reason or another.
I do not think that he will ever be off probation. His po refuses to allow them to live anywhere but a parking lot with no electricity or running water. Any place that they can afford to live his po refuses cause it's too close to dance studio or a house that has a neighbor with a kid of any age or sex. I think his po is just making him suffer to the point that he does drugs, kills himself, or dies of hypothermia. So that he can send him back to prison for not finding a stable residence or a job. I am seriously concerned because how can anyone do anything if their physical needs to survive can not be met. What I want to know is if there is anyway this po is breaking any laws, or not doing his job. I have not talked to the po as i am just a sister and fear retaliation for my brother by him. I also do not know how to properly talk to the po, or if he would even talk to me, he refuses to talk to my mom and won't return her calls. I don't understand how the legal system works, but as a relative, and being concerned, i don't see how long my brother can live in this parking lot.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 6 years ago.



Well, the PO has a lot of authority. But if there are no stipulations regarding contact with minors under a certain age, then he may be overstepping. I suggest you contact the Washington Department of Probation - and find out exactly why this PO is on your brother in this manner. He should not be in a parking lot. If nothing else, he needs to be in a shelter of some sort. You also can find out his release date. And you can inquire as to an interstate compact - possibly he could come and live with you


If you have further questions, you may post them here and i will continue to assist. Otherwise, even if you have a subscription with JA please remember to ACCEPT my answer as that is the only way I can get credit for my time and information in this matter. Thank you and good luck

Samuel II and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you