How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask xavierjd Your Own Question
xavierjd, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3400
Experience:  Over 20 yrs experience in prosecution and defense work
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
xavierjd is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is in the St Lucie County Jail on Second Degree Felony

Customer Question

My son is in the St Lucie County Jail on Second Degree Felony Battery Domestic Violance and the bail is set for $75,000 on a first Offense. He has no money and is having to wait for a court appointed Public Attorney. If his bail were reduced he could be out jail to await hearing. This is his mother asking if it is possible to get his bail reduced so we could pay the 10%? My husband and I have no experience with this situation, but am trying to help our son. Can you refer me to someone who might help? XXXXX XXXXX
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  xavierjd replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for using


Do you know when his next hearing date is?


Do you know who the attorney is that has been appointed to represent your son?



Customer: replied 6 years ago.

My son has not had a hearing and he has not been assigned a lawyer. His has applied for a court appointed lawyer but nothing so far. We spoke to our son today on the collect call system for inmates and he doesn't know where to turn for help.



Expert:  xavierjd replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the information.


The 2nd degree felony battery domestic violence charge against your son is VERY serious. It is punishable by up to 15 years in prison and up to at $10,000.00 fine. These are maximum penalties.


The criminal court procedures in Florida can be confusing. A good defense attorney will not only navigate this process for you r son and with your son, but will help him understand all the steps, the court appearances, what is expected of him, and what is likely to happen to your son- every step of the way.


A good criminal defense lawyer is there to help your son as a person as well as fight for his legal protection, rights and freedom under the law.


The most common steps in the process are as follows:

  • Arrest / Bail
  • Arraignment
  • Pretrial Hearing
  • Trial

In most cases, defendants must make an appearance before a judge who will first determine if bond is appropriate, and then sets the amount of the bond. The court determines the bond amount by considering, amongst other factors, the defendant's potential danger to the community and/or whether he is a risk of flight. The individual may be released upon personal recognizance / ROR (a promise to appear in court when directed), or released on bail, which involves the posting of either cash money or a surety bond as security for his/her court appearance. Bail bonds from licensed bail bondsmen are available, usually at a cost of 10 percent of the total amount of bail.


Some serious offenses, like first-degree murder, are deemed "non-bondable" and thus, a defendant is unable to bond out immediately. Defendants charged with domestic violence offenses are also unable to bond out immediately. By law, they are required to appear before a judge prior to leaving custody.


If someone is taken into custody, booked, and held he/she must be brought before a magistrate within 24 hours of the arrest. At that appearance, the individual may request that the magistrate lower the bail in consideration of the following factors: ties to the community, financial resources, employment record, lack of criminal record, and history of appearing in court as required.


Upon arrival at the jail or shortly thereafter, arrestees will be given an opportunity to contact an attorney. The attorney, in turn, may arrange for the posting of a bond and may appear in court and request that the bail be lowered. The attorney may request an Emergency Hearing for Bond Reduction. In his/her request, the attorney MUST set forth reasons, in detail, such as those set forth in the previous paragraph, as to why the Defendant should not be considered a flight risk, a danger to the alleged victim, the community, etc. As stated, a good employment record, long term ties to the community, strong family support and lack of criminal history are VERY important factors to be brought before the judge IN DETAIL.


Even if the judge grants a bond reduction, a temporary restraining order or protective injunction may also be entered by the judge as part of his bond. It MUST be followed, even if your son believes that the judge should not have entered the order.


Both restraining orders and protective domestic violence injunctions can order many things:

  • Grant possession of a residence
  • Restrain your proximity to certain locations
  • Order you to cease certain actions
  • Order you to stay at a certain distance
  • Provide for possession of personal properties
  • Order you to cease all or certain contact
  • Order spousal or child support payment

If you son is found to be in violation of a restraining order or protective injunction in the state of Florida he may also be charged with a 1st degree misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in jail and fines reaching $1,000.


You should be able to call the court in the city in which the offense allegedly occurred to find out who has been appointed as his attorney. Although the attorney does NOT have to talk to you (because your son is his client--not you), you can communicate that your son NEEDS to talk to him immediately and that he wants the attorney to request an Emergency Hearing to Reduce Bond. The attorney can visit your son at the jail, get all the necessary information and prepare the request (motion).


In the meantime, you may wish to speak to an attorney who specializes in criminal law. Sometimes, an initial consultation is free or at a minimal cost. You can discuss the specific facts of your son's case, evaluate the options and decide how to proceed. It may be worth speaking to an attorney on your own so that you better understand what will happen and how to get your son's appointed attorney to visit him immediately.


Even if the bond is reduced, it may still be significant. It may require the hiring of a bonding company to assist with posting the bond. As mentioned earlier, the bonds person will charge a fee of 10% of whatever the bond is. Upon payment of the fee, the bonding company will put up the money for the bond. If your son violates any bond condition or fails to appear in court, the bond may be revoked and a new bond set. Also, the bonding company may be held responsible to the court for payment of the entire bond. For example, if the bond was set at $25,000.00 cash/surety, you would pay the bonding company a $2,500.00 fee. The bonding company may also ask for other collateral to ensure that it is covered in case your son didn't return to court or violated the bond. It may ask for the title to your car, or deed to your house. Once the case is resolved the collateral would be returned to you.


Because the charge that your son faces is SO serious, the judge may decide not to reduce the bond. Or, the judge could reduce the amount of the bond from $75,000.00 to $50,000.00 or some other amount. The judge could also set a 10% bond. So for example, if the bond is $75,000.00 cash/surety OR 10%, then only $7,500.00 would have to be posted. You would only then have to pay a fee of $750.00 to the bonding company.


In the interim, as I indicated, you may wish to consult a criminal attorney to further discuss this matter, or find out who the appointed attorney is, and contact him/her to make sure that s/he visits your son ASAP.




xavierjd and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your information, I better understand the process and will contact the St Lucie County Lawyer service for an initial consultation and find who has been appointed as his Attorney. We can ill afford to help with the amount of money needed to get him bonded, but we'll see what we can do. Will my son have to pay the fees he has incurred when he was booked/jailed before he is released?
Expert:  xavierjd replied 6 years ago.

He may have to pay his booking/intake fee before being released. Your son may also have to set up a payment plan for any fees owed to the jail.


While your son is awaiting his hearing for a bond reduction, there may be an account set up for him at the jail. All deposits made to an inmate account will first satisfy the intake/booking fee. After satisfying the intake/booking fee, then half of the total deposit will go toward any outstanding debt such as the daily subsistence fees, or prior fees incurred, and any amount of the deposit remaining after that will then be available for canteen purchases.


Below is a link to the St. Lucie Sheriff's Office that explains the process. It also provides the telephone number for questions.


I am not indicating that you should set up an account and put money into it for him. I understand that you are financially strapped. However, maybe his employer or other friends may assist.


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No and my son doesn't either. He is still waiting to hear from a court appointed lawyer. He called and I gave him your answer, so after my husband contacts the Lawyer
Reference Service of St Lucie County, Florida. Again thanks for your guidance. XXXXX XXXXX, mom who wants to help her son.
Expert:  xavierjd replied 6 years ago.

I wish you the best. I know this must be a difficult time for you and your husband. Again, I appreciate you accepting my answer and thank you for the generous bonus.