How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a court appearance scheduled for 1/19/2011perate need

Resolved Question:

I have a court appearance scheduled for 1/19/2011perate need of legal council. as a domestic incident last month, where my ex-husband assaulted me and I wet him with a glass of juice. My ex-husband gave the Police a small amount of pot, and told them it was mine. It was not mine, and I was not caught with it in my possession. He is a pot smoker and failed a piss test several months ago at work. I appeared in count and spoke to the State DA. He told me I was caught with pot in my possession (which is not true). He wanted me to plead guilty, and I refused to do so because I am innocent. I am now living in MA, and do not have a job and can't afford a Lawyer. Can you inform me of how to get a court appointed Lawyer, as I cannot afford one.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 6 years ago.

Dear JACUSTOMER - You need to ask the judge in the court to appoint a lawyer for you. You should not discuss your case with anyone except an attorney and you should plead not guilty. There is no reason that you should have pled guilty to anything under these circumstances so you did the right thing.


Once you have a lawyer he or she can discuss the matter with the DA and try to get the charges dropped or reduced. If you did nothing wrong you have a right to a trial by jury so you have no reason to give in to pressure from the prosecutor and you have a right to be represented by counsel. Just keep quiet until your court appearance and then ask for a lawyer and tell the judge you want to plead not guilty.


Dave Kennett

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dear Attorney Kenneth,

I need additional information. Is it possible to obtain a court appointed Attorney prior to the court date, as the Attorney will need time to review the case and obtain any necessary documentation... If it is possible, who should I contact at Norwich CT Court House to obtain the court appointed Laywer?

Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 6 years ago.

Unless you are under arrest and incarcerated you generally cannot get an appointed attorney until the court date.All that happens in the initial appearance is that you enter a plea of not guilty and then the case is set for a pretrial conference. That gives your attorney time to review the file and prepare the case. There's nothing to prepare for the initial hearing since it's just a matter of saying "not guilty".


You can call the clerk of court and ask but I don't believe you will be able to get counsel unless appointed by the judge. The court has to make a determination that you financially qualify for a PD before they will appoint one.



Dave Kennett and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you